Wednesday, October 17, 2007

(Slightly) Devilish Angel Food Cake

A friend recently experienced a health episode that severely limits his fat intake. It doesn't sound that bad because most of us can and really should do that anyway, for health reasons. Being a bit of a chocaholic, it has been difficult for him to find a chocolate dessert that he can enjoy without giving him stomach pain. In order to help him out a bit and as a great excuse to bake, I made chocolate angel food cake!

I've made plain angel food cake before and it was perfect with a dollop of cream and fresh strawberries. However, I remember thinking that it was quite plain so adding some chocolate flavor to it will be quite awesome, no? Comprising of mostly egg whites, sugar and flour, angel food cake is a relatively healthy dessert. To make it, you start by beating 12 egg whites with sugar until it is stiff before folding in the other dry ingredients. It also takes quite a long time to bake: 60 whole minutes, but it is so worth it!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My chocolate angel food cake turned out beautifully moist and had this crackly, crisp crust on the top that was so addictive! I wonder if I can bake angel food cake in a sheet pan instead so that there would be more of the crackly crisp crust? Have any of you done that before?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Recipe for Chocolate Angel Food Cake

Ingredients:
12 egg whites
1/4 teasp. salt
1 1/4 teasp. cream of tartar
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 confectioner's sugar
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teasp. vanilla extract

First, preheat your oven to 325 deg. F.

Mix the confectioner's sugar, cake flour and cocoa powder. Sift this dry mixture at least once.

In a large clean bowl, whip egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until slightly stiff. Continue to beat while adding granulated sugar 2 tablespoons at a time until egg whites are very stiff.

Fold in the flour/sugar/cocoa mixture until just incorporated.

Mix in the vanilla.

Bake for 60 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.

Bon appetit!

10 comments:

jesse said...

Hi ci, wondering what you've been up to lately! Your pictures are beautiful, what camera do you use? I'll have to call you one of these days...

jesse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

I've never done an angel food cake in a sheet pan but I DO love the idea of greater surface area = more delicious crusty top!

And thanks for your kind words on my blog - I totally agree!!

Deborah said...

This looks delicious!! I don't think I've ever had a chocolate angel food cake, although I have a magazine that has a half chocolate/half normal angel food cake that I have been wanting to make...

Meredith said...

Yay! J-pop foodies! lol
I'd never heard of Sukima Switch, so I just listened to couple of their songs which were pretty good.

The pumpkin ice cream does have a very pumpkiny flavor. I'm really looking forward to this Gingerbread Man kind that my friend described, "it's like cookies and cream... only with really soft gingerbread pieces." O_O Sounds delicious to me!!

Speaking of delicious - that cake! I'm not much of a baker, but it sure sounds/looks good. :D

glamah16 said...

Very nice. Thats one I have to try.

The Caked Crusader said...

Thanks for visiting my site.

How about making it in the brownie pan called "The Edge" that snakes around so every piece has top crust and edge crust! Now that would be something!
I ordered mine from the US company called Kitchen Kraft.

Meredith said...

I would LOVE to own a Starbucks!! I'd rather make money off them than vice versa.. -_-

Kajal@aapplemint said...

i love angel food cake. i guess it is the best option to satisfy a sweet tooth without consuming the fat. The no of eggs in nit scares me though :P

test it comm said...

Looks good! I have been meaning to try an angel food cake for a while now.

Click to Join the Foodie Blogroll

Click here to join